Friday, June 26, 2015

DIY Ring Bearer Pillow

We are in the process of buying a house and it has been extremely stressful.  Today we had to move the closing date while we sort out some questions about the mortgage, which is disappointing.  But better than feeling like we were pushed into making a quick decision.  I needed a little escape, so I sat down at the sewing machine and decided to get the ring bearer pillow made for our upcoming wedding.

I'm really new at this whole blogging thing, and of course I didn't even think about writing a post about making the pillow until I was all finished.  I did have enough scraps to put together a second one and take a few pictures along the way.

Materials:
Piece of fabric approximately 18" x 9"
A few feet of two types of ribbon
A few feet of Jute cord
A few feet of lace

Sewing machine
Hot glue gun


I made my pillow with scrap fabric I had.  It doesn't take much.


The first one I cut to 9"x9" and the second I only had enough to cut 2 8" squares.  Both turned out to be nice sizes in the end.


After cutting, it's just a matter of sewing the edges of the pillow, leaving a hole so you can stuff it. 



I stuffed the pillow and then it just needed closed up.  The proper way to do this, of course, is to sew it shut by hand.  That's what I did with the first one, but the second one I didn't feel like putting that much effort into it, so I cheated and used some hot glue to close it up.  It actually worked pretty well and you can't see that it was hot glued, but that may not be the case with other types of fabrics.

Then I cut some ribbon that was long enough to overlap in the back and I glued it on with hot glue.  (This is also the point where I glued my fingers and OUCH!  That stuff was hot.)  Then I did the same with some lace over the ribbon and used hot glue to attach it as well.


Then I made a bow, making sure to leave the strings of Jute longer than the lace and ribbon, that is the string that will be used to tie the rings on.

I put hot glue across the back of the knot and attached it to the pillow.  Now I have two cute little ring bearer pillows!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jenny! I'm making this for my daughter's wedding in September. Great tutorial!

    Luzia
    Highly recommended Shoretel Reseller

    ReplyDelete